This website contains colour pictures of the Etobicoke Motel Strip taken by Roger D. Moore in 1989. The photos are in seven groups which can be accessed via the map below
|North Strip||Northern Beach||HOME|
|Central Strip||Central Beach||Misc|
|South Strip||Southern Beach||Aerial Photos|
Concler was just north of modern Brooker's Lane. Palace Pier Court at the top. Modern Marine Parade Drive intersects Lakeshore Blvd between Cruise and Lake Edge.
Sandy Beach Motel was one of three which had some connection to the lake. There was a sand beach behind the motel which was unusual. The shore in other areas was usually was rock or concrete fill. In nice weather, the proprietor placed inexpensive patio furniture on the beach for the motel guests.
There were several houses on the strip. Some were single family bungalows. Several were multi-story buildings which had been divided into rooming houses. The high ground between the Sandy Beach and Seahorse motels contained several rooming houses. White semi-detached house is 2103/2105 Lake Shore Blvd W.
Northernmost rooming houses (2099 brick and 2101 boarded up). George Legge was the owner of 2099; Archibald Legge owned 2101.
Seahorse Motel started as a single row of rooms but had expanded to three rows before 1989. The amenities included an outdoor swimming pool and a tennis court. As the tourist business declined, the management realised that they could do well as a relatively respectable establishment which rented rooms by the hour. The Toronto Star referred to the Seahorse as a "no-tell motel".
Seahorse Motel building three
All three Seahorse Motel buildings.
Cruise Motel (Palace Motel before 1987) was a fairly respectable place which tended to serve long-term residents. A Photoshopped picture of the Cruise was used by the Factory Theatre to promote George F. Walker's Suburban Motel plays.
Demolition started June 2002. Cruise Motel was renamed from Palace Motel in 1987.
Lake Edge Motel was the most north easterly motel. It had an outdoor swimming pool.
Lake Edge Motel fountain
Playing Field was the final name for this tavern at the corner of Palace Pier Court and Lakeshore Blvd W. It was originally built by Hans William as Lakeshore Coffee Shop. Under William and other owners it was variously named: Humber Hotel, Humber House and Humber Pub. Sometime after John Barry purchased it in the 1960s he renamed it to John Duck's. John Barry closed the tavern in 1988 and it reopened under new ownership as the Playing Field.
Barry apparently confused this building with the Wimbledon house which John Duck opened in 1872. This waterfront building burnt down in 1912. The only connection to John Duck is that the building stood on part of a Water Lot patented to John Duck.
This view of the Playing Field showed the facade which was visible from the Gardiner Expressway (nee Queen Elizabeth Way). The stucco and timber appearance dates from sometime after WWII.